Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Knoxville Trip-Day 5

Day 5: New Years Day at the Waffle House
It’s not a trip to the south without going to a Waffle House. We met Jennifer and Cheryl at about 10 to find the local Waffle House packed. Aparrently, this is a fairly rare occurrence. We waited about 10 minutes and then crammed the 8 of us into a booth. Luckily, a booth across the aisle from us opened up before the food arrived so we could spread out. We stuffed ourselves with cheap breakfast food and went to Cheryl’s house to watch some football. I’m a die-hard Iowa fan and they were playing South Carolina in the Outback Bowl. I was fortunate that Iowa built a lead early and put the game out of reach. If it had been close (or, perish the thought, Iowa lost) Jennifer and Cheryl would have seen a very different side of me. I tend to get a little emotional (swearing, throwing objects, etc.) when the game is tight or Iowa is losing. I kept the Mr. Hyde part of my personality in check as I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Hawks destroy South Carolina.

After the game, we toured PJ’s (Cheryl’s husband) shop. Him and his father own a shop that specializes in cars from the 50s, muscle cars, street rods, hot rods, corvettes and custom one-off creation. And yes, I pulled that description directly from their website(www.b-rodorcustom.com ). I’m not huge gear head, but I do have an appreciation for cars. I left thoroughly impressed, the work they do is really cool. They had projects in all stages and apparently weren’t struggling due to the recession. They had plenty of work to do in the forseeable future.
We went back to the condo that afternoon for our last evening in Knoxville. We (meaning Sarah) did some laundry while I packed up the mountains of crap we had brought along. I called it a night earlier than usual, as we were heading out before dawn and I knew would be driving the first leg.

No comments: