Friday, December 5, 2008

Vegas trip report-Day 3

Day 3: Olives and “O”

We had Krispy Kremes for breakfast (we picked them up the night before downtown) and I headed to the Hilton again. It was Sunday, so I had more football bets to place. I also figured that since I wasn’t doing much winning, I might as well get some exercise.

I was back at the Flamingo by 11 and the wife and I headed down the strip to get some lunch. We went to Rainforest Café in MGM Grand where the wife had her standard Asian chicken salad and I had a burger. The one constant with every time we’ve eaten at a Rainforest Café is the service is incredible. The wife did trip the server up once, she wanted to know there the nearest bookstore was located. It was kind of a trick question, as there isn’t a bookstore on the strip. He asked another server, and came back with a suggestion to go to Boulevard Mall.
The wife decided to try her luck on the strip to find some reading material. We proceeded to stop at every location that might have a book that doesn’t feature Fabio on the cover. We did this back to Bellagio, where we stopped to pick up our tickets to O and make a reservation for Olives.
We spent the afternoon relaxing at the hotel, I watched my football bets go up in smoke while the wife napped. We went over to Bellagio at around six and watched a few fountain shows as our reservations weren’t until 8 with the show being at 10:30. As we were watching the fountains, we were approached by a couple attractive girls in their low 20s. They asked me to take their picture, and of course I obliged. I always agree to take pictures for people, but I’m a little more eager when it involves attractive women. They were fairly particular, they wanted full body shots (insert joke here) and I needed to take a picture with each of their cameras. I took the pictures and I thought I had done a decent job. My wife was looking over my shoulder and she pointed out I cut off their feet. I guess I was more interested in what they had to offer farther north. Sure enough, they thanked me and proceeded to ask another guy 20 feet away to take their picture. Apparently my photography skills are only surpassed by my ability to handicap sporting events.
We had dinner at Olives next. The wife had the pork tenderloin, I had the ricotta ravioli. Mine was good, but the sauce was a little too strong for my taste. I had some of my wife’s tenderloin and it was phenomenal. It was perfectly prepared and it absolutely melted in my mouth. I normally wouldn’t say any dish is worth $35, but this one definitely was. The service was also exceptional. He put up with my wise cracks about the $5000 bottle of champagne on the wine list and was very attentive. When he dropped off the check he asked if we wanted to charge it to our room. I responded that we weren’t staying there, but I’d be happy to charge it to someone else’s room. He said sure, charge it to the Underhill’s. I thought I was the only person that would still drop Fletch quotes. I tipped him more than usual and complemented him on his well-timed movie quote.
Our tickets to O were limited view seats in section 203, I believe it was row Q or R. I highly recommend buying limited view seats as they cost significantly less and the view isn’t really limited. The obstruction was a one inch thick handrail four rows ahead of us. The part of the stage it barely blocked is at the bottom of the stage, so we didn’t miss anything by sitting there. The show is hard to describe. There isn’t really a story, or if there is I’m too dumb to get it. The stunts and acrobatics are amazing and the fact that the stage can be a pool one instant to being dry the next is pretty cool. I guess my final verdict is it was worth going to once, but I wouldn’t drop $100/ticket to see it again.
It was a little after midnight when the show ended, so we packed it in for the night.

2 comments:

larfingravy said...

followed the link from AVP. Like your blog, can relate to your sense of humour. Will be checking back.

DJ said...

Thanks larfingravy, I'm glad you like it.