Saturday, December 13, 2008

Children's programming

I recently spent the day with my 8 and 7 year-old girls. We were quarantined to my room as the stomach flu ripped through our household like a tornado through a trailer park. The only difference being it's easier to clean up after the tornado.

In between being a one-man puke bucket brigade, we had the chance to enjoy some of the finest children's programming available. First up was Ruby and Max. This is an adorable cartoon about a couple of bunnies with a disturbing undertone. Ruby and Max are brother and sister, with Ruby being the older of the two. Ruby seems to be pre-adolescent (she's very flat-chested) and Max appears to be toddler age. The problem I have with this show is these two seem to have no parents. I'm assuming the parents were made into fur coats or had their feet cut off for good luck charms. The kids grandmother makes regular appearances and other rabbits on the show have parents, but Ruby and Max seem to be on their own.
Ruby is very parental. She's always having bake sales, lemonade stands, or rummage sales to make a few bucks. I expect as time passes and she becomes more desperate she'll start turning tricks. Obviously Social Security doesn't exist in the bunny world. Max is mentally disabled. He picks one or two words to say at the beginning of the episode and says them over and over for the entire episode. Overall, it's not my least favorite children's show of all time but it's definitely on the list. Next post, I'll break down Go, Diego, Go!



No comments: