Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Vegas 2012-Day 2

Day 2: Mon arrives and makes up for lost time We weren’t exactly up at the crack of dawn on that Friday. We got over to McDonalds sometime before 9 and had a quick breakfast. Then the wife and I headed over to Stage Door to pick up some provisions. I got the usual, a 2 liter of Mountain Dew and a 12 pack of beer. Then it was time for us to part ways. Nene and the wife headed to the pool, I went gambling. I cashed an NBA winner and wandered the strip for awhile. I wound up at Aria and stumbled upon what would become my new favorite machine. It’s called something like “Heads up Texas Hold’em” and as the name implies you play hold’em against a computer. You can also make bets as to whether you get certain hands and at what point you’ll get these hands. I stuck with playing the hand and not placing side bets. The strategy worked well, I was up about $30 in no time. The computer is an extremely aggressive and loose player. My strategy was to dump mediocre hands and take as much as could from the computer when I had a decent hand. There was no point in being aggressive and matching the computer’s strategy as the computer wasn’t going to get intimidated to leave a hand or get bluffed. I got a text while playing that our other friend, Mon, had arrived at the airport. I was going to meet her at Flamingo and get a key from Nene so she could get to her room without having to wait in the endless check-in line. I double-timed it back to the Flamingo and in the process tripped going up the stairs by Harrah’s. In my defense, I was wearing flip flops while drinking. I was fairly embarrassed, but I figure no one that saw me knows me. Of course, there was no reason at all for me to rush as I beat Mon to the Flamingo by at least a half hour. She had made the mistake of taking a shuttle that stopped at basically every hotel on the strip. Mon was a little loopy when she arrived, although she claimed the shuttle ride sobered her up from the 3 Bloody Mary’s she had on the plane. So being completely sober, she decided to make up some ground. We headed down to the pool where she decided to drink all the alcohol. The wife and I left the pool around 4 to get ready for dinner. Nene and Mon stayed for awhile to see if there was any alcohol left to consume. I texted Mon when were ready to find something to eat. The replies I received gave me the impression Mon was pretty well loaded. And things were happening in their room that needed to stay in Vegas. The four of us met up with another couple for dinner. We settled on Carlos and Charlies, mostly because it was located in the Flamingo. It became fairly obvious when we sat down that Mon wasn’t going to make it through dinner. Or if she did, there was a good chance we’d see her eat dinner in reverse. The wife and I made the executive decision that Mon should sit this one out. I herded her back to her room, and at one point she asked if we were in our hotel. She proceeded to pass out until the next day. We finished dinner, which was good but not great. We wanted to hit a few sights that night so we headed over to Bellagio. We were in the conservatory when the rest of the group got out of Seinfeld (us in the low roller party didn’t have $140 each to drop on tickets) and wanted to meet up for drinks. We set a course for the Piano Bar at Harrahs, and it was packed. So we checked Carnival Court-packed. There was a table available at O’Sheas, however it was directly in front of the speakers for the evening band. After one round there we decided to go back to Carlos and Charlies. Turned out to be a good move. Me and the one other guy in our sub group went with the 100 oz. pillar of beer that came equipped with its own tap. After sitting for awhile this guy, whose job is to keep the party going, stopped at our table. He had a bottle of some unidentifiable liquor and he proceeded to pour it down the girls throats. Then he brought around beer and tried to pour it down my throat. Now I am a man of many talents, but suppressing my gag reflex isn’t one of them. Which I don’t think is a bad thing. So due to my lack of skills I wound up with a fair amount of beer on me. Kinda decided I didn’t like party guy after that.

No comments: