The girls didn’t get up early enough to get a good spot at the pool on that Saturday. It was compounded by fact that Flamingo decided to throw a private party at one of the pools. So the only pool open to the public was packed. We headed toward downtown that evening with no real plans of where to eat. I pride myself on at least knowing what options are available in Vegas, but I’ve always found food options Downtown to be very hit and miss. We wandered through Golden Nugget for awhile and found a sushi place called Red Sushi.
I went really conservative on the sushi as I didn’t like the idea of throwing up for the rest of my trip. I had what I would consider the equivalent of a smashed chicken nugget on rice. It was fine, but nothing spectacular. The rest of the group were more daring and apparently their food was phenomenal. Lesson learned, I need to branch out a little.
We wandered around downtown doing all the usual things. We listened to some live music, saw a light show, bought some cheap souvineers and did some meth. You can probably figure out which of those didn’t happen. We also saw the pool at the Golden Nugget with the water slide that goes through the shark tank. I’ve gotta admit, that’s pretty cool. We met up with the rest of the group and I think it was the only time we were all together. One of the guys was a self-proclaimed “gambling expert” and insisted everyone should play blackjack at a specific casino. He also had a camera in his fanny pack that was approximately the size of the Hubble telescope. Needless to say, I didn’t heed his advise as I know a thing or two about blackjack and I never trust a guy with a telescope hanging around his waist.
My primary reason for wanting to go downtown was the zipline that now runs under the canopy. I had done my research and all indications were it wouldn’t be a long wait to do it. I guess that depends on your definition of a long wait. It was an hour after buying tickets, and the line for tickets looked to be at least a half hour long. I shelved that idea for another Vegas trip.
Our subgroup had seen about enough of downtown so we caught a cab back to the hotel. We figured Carlos and Charlies would be a good choice again. One of my normal routines is to try to talk to cab drivers. It’s typically easy to determine which ones want to talk and which would prefer silence. The guy that drove us back seemed to want to talk and it appeared he had a grasp of the English language. Here’s how my conversation went:
Me: So, how long have you been driving a taxi?
Driver: (silence)
Me: Have you been driving a taxi very long?
Driver: I like it.
Me: So how long have you been driving?
Driver: I like it.
Me: Do you gamble much?
Driver: I like turtles.
I may have made up that last line, but the rest was 100% true.
Carlos and Charlies was a bit more subdued that night. Stupid party guy wasn’t there, I actually saw him in the sports book looking very disappointed. I’m no expert, but I’m guessing he wasn’t winning. It turned into a fairly early evening as the wife and Nene had committed to getting up really early to wait in line for the pool. I guess they are way more interested in pool seating than I.
No comments:
Post a Comment