Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Day 5: Cozumel

We got off to a bad start. Our plan was to get off the boat as soon as it docked and catch a cab to the park where we had reservations for the girls to swim with dolphins. We couldn’t get off the boat when we wanted because another boat was docking. When we finally got off, Abby got wrangled by some guy dressed in aboriginal garb for a picture. A real man would have grabbed his fake spear and beat him with it. Being a lesser man, I just complain about it in a blog. We found the taxi stand and had to take 2 cabs to the park as there wasn’t a van available for the 6 of us. When we got to the park, the cabby “conveniently” didn’t have change. I made him wait for our other cab and got exact change, as opposed to way over-tipping. We got into the park and made our way to the dolphin experience, where we discovered our reservation was for 2 days later. We momentarily panicked, but the customer service person let us change the reservation to that day at 1pm. We had a couple hours to kill, so we hung out in the pool. Cozumel turned out to be the best part of the vacation by far. Zach really enjoyed the pool as it wasn’t crowded like the ship’s pool. The girls loved the dolphin experience and I took some crappy amateur video of it. They charged me $5 to be on the pier near the dolphins, which was cheap compared to the $75 it would have cost for their video. We wandered around the park for awhile and checked out the scuba area and the beach. We didn’t spend much time there as the boat leaves the dock at 5pm and we needed to do some shopping. I take that back, there was nothing we needed. Just a lot of stuff we wanted. Shopping at Cozumel was more pleasant than Progreso because the harassment was more low-key. However, the prices were a lot higher. I’m not exactly sure what we left Cozumel with, I think the girls got sun dresses and Zach was the big winner with a green turkey made out of a gourd (I’m not making that up). We got back to the boat in plenty of time, unlike some of our fellow passengers that had to get called a few times.

No comments: