Monday, April 19, 2010

What happened to your face?

The wife and I went out last weekend to celebrate a friend's birthday. It was a fairly large group of people consisting of co-workers, family and friends. I think it's safe to say no one knew everyone else in the group, except the birthday girl. We went to a comedy club and then moved the party to a local bar. And hilarity ensued. Or maybe not so much hilarity as uncomfortableness.

I'm the type of person that doesn't seek out new friends in this type of social gathering. I'll sit in the corner with people I already know. A friend of ours is the opposite. She'll strike up a conversation with anyone. In fact, I'm fairly convinced she recently took up smoking purely for the social aspect. Anyway, this friend starts talking to a guy in the group I'll call "Uncle Doug." I call him that because he is the birthday girl's uncle and his name is Doug. Anyway, Uncle Doug has a fairly sizable scar on the side of his neck up to his face. She opens the conversation with "What happened to your face, did you try to kill yourself?" Unfortunately the answer was yes. And that's why I don't strike up conversation with people I don't know.

No comments: