Wednesday, September 23, 2009

MTIAWWIFABIKOEATBNWTWTA-What's Eating Gilbert Grape

I'm not a big fan of Leonardo DiCaprio, but I have to admit he's really good in this movie. He's plays a mentally disabled adolescent (Arnie), and it almost seems like he's not acting...Johnny Depp plays his older brother (Gilbert) and he's also the primary breadwinner in the family.

There are several reasons why I like this movie. First, it's set in Iowa. Ok, so it doesn't cast Iowans in a very good light but we have to take whatever publicity we can get. Second, I love the part when Arnie goes apeshit when the town gets a Burger Barn (GILBERT, IT'S A BURGER BARN!!!). I also like that Gilbert's girlfriend is kind of a skank that only comes for the summer in her camper. The movie depicts Iowa as the mecca for cheap campers. There's a scene where dozens of crappy pull-behind campers are in a caravan en route to the great campgrounds of Iowa. I've lived here all my life and I can't imagine that ever happening.
I have a lot in common with Gilbert. He lit his house on fire, and I apparently attempted to light my house on fire when I was a toddler. We both have a soft spot for skanks. And we both have younger brothers that are mentally disabled.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Someone doesn't take constructive criticism very well, however, I do approve of the much improved manliness level in the post. So even though I am called mentally disabled it is still a step up. When will people learn that an IQ of 72 is absolutely ok.