Tuesday, May 5, 2009

And the hits just keep on coming

My oldest daughter's issues with balance are well-documented. A better blogger would be able to post a link to it, but ever time I try to do it I screw it up. I'll just tell you it was sometime last year.
Mady had her first softball game of the year last night. She's moved up a division this year (we had to lie to do it) so there are other girls pitching to her. That alone is a bit funny.

A 9-11 year-old trying to pitch windmill-style is mildly entertaining. One of the girls pitched behind the batter more times than in front. Mady didn't pitch in this game, which is just as well as we haven't practiced that skill very much. She didn't have much luck at the plate, but she did field a couple grounders cleanly. The real story was on the way home. Mady was jawing with her sister and basically trying to pick a fight. She swatted at her sister with her ball glove and then started jogging down the sidewalk. She got about 50 yards and then BAMM!! she ran right into a truck. Not a truck in motion, just one that was parked slightly in the sidewalk. I have no idea how she didn't see it. I mean, it's a frigging truck. Now granted, it was a half-ton pickup and not a semi, but still.
I peeled her off the sidewalk and determined that mostly just her pride was hurt. Tonight we had another softball game for her sister, Abby. She didn't hit another truck on the way home. There was a pickup truck in the same driveway, except it was white. I told Mady she must have hit the truck so hard that she knocked the paint off it.

No comments: