Sunday, July 24, 2011

Addiction

I haven’t blogged for awhile because I’m dealing with a very serious addiction in my home. I didn’t realize how serious it was until I did an intervention about a month ago.
It was a Saturday morning and the house was empty except for my four-year-old and me. We were playing Lego Star Wars and I decided to take Zach to the raptor center (birds, not dinosaurs). It’s a good way for me to kill an hour with the kids while getting them out of the house. Plus Zach needed some time away from the Wii. Zach had no idea what we were going to see, so I explained we’ll see eagles, owls and hawks. Here’s the ensuing conversation:
Zach: Ewoks?
Me: Hawks. Not Ewoks.
Zach: What about the Ewoks?
Me: There are no Ewoks. Only hawks.
I thought I had conveyed the situation until we got to the raptor center. We were walking around and Zach kept asking about the Ewoks.
Zach: Where are the Ewoks?
Me: There are no Ewoks.
Zach: But you said there would be Ewoks here.
Me: There are no Ewoks.
Zach: Why aren’t there any Ewoks here?
Me: Because there aren’t any Ewoks. They aren’t real.
Zach: But you said there would be Ewoks here.
As you can see, this is a fairly serious issue. Zach is totally addicted to anything related to Star Wars. He plays Star Wars on the Wii for about an hour per day to feed the addiction. He has watched all 6 of the movies several times and watches the clone wars cartoon religiously. We are at the end of a weeklong vacation and Zach hasn’t had too many withdrawal issues, but we’ll see how he handles his addiction once he gets in contact with it again.

No comments: